[IMPORTANT NOTICE TO 2024 ENTRY PROSPECTS]
- The English Language Requirements below are updated for the 2024 Entry.
- We highly recommend you take the language test (IELTS or TOEFL if you do not have any other accepted English language certificate) as early as possible, ideally a year ahead of your time of application, to leave enough time to retake the test if you fail to meet the minimum requirement.
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen seeks top-quality students. Our minimum entry requirements are:
- an overall score in the top 20%,
- core subjects (mathematics, English, and subjects directly related to your major) also within the top 20%.
- General minimum requirements are for guidance only. Satisfying requirements does not guarantee admission, as admission is on a competitive basis.
- You need to meet both the Qualification Requirements AND the English Language Requirements below to be admitted without conditions. Failing to meet either, you will not be considered for unconditional admission.
- If your country/qualification is not listed here or in the attachment, your application will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Qualification Requirements (not yet updated for 2024 Entry)
There are diverse qualification options for an applicant to choose from. The following are the qualifications we accept:
- International Baccalaureate Diploma (IBDP) with 30 points out of 45. Candidates who have completed only the first year of IB Diploma studies barely making the minimum standard may be considered for admission under special circumstances on individual merits, case by case.
- European Baccalaureate with an overall average of 80%
- GCE A-Level / International A-Level 3 AL passes or 2 AL + 2AS passes in one sitting (All grades must be obtained from examinations taken within a twelve-month period.), with an average of grade C For candidates who have completed only GCE-AS / International-AS with outstanding results, they may be considered for admission under special circumstances on individual merits case-by-case.
- SAT Reasoning Test / ACT and SAT Subject Test / Advanced Placement (AP) Test Senior Secondary School Graduation Diploma / Certificate; and an overall total score of 1190 out of 1600 in SAT (from March 2016) / 1650 out of 2400 in SAT Reasoning Test (before March 2016) / a composite score of 24 in the ACT; and a score of 600 each in 2 SAT Subject Tests / Grade 3 each in 2 Advanced Placement (AP) Tests
- Please find the attached file below to see our other qualifications on a country basis. If your country/qualification is not listed here, your application will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
English Language Requirements (Updated for 2024 Entry)
English is the primary medium of instruction and working language here at CUHK-Shenzhen. We require candidates to demonstrate good English Language proficiency for the best study experience. Therefore, an applicant must demonstrate an acceptable level of proficiency in English. Our minimum standards are:
- IELTS: 6.5, with no band under 6.0
- TOEFL iBT: 80, with no band under 20
- ACT Combined English./Writing or English Language Arts (ELA): 23
- SAT (New) Evidence-Based Reading and Writing: 590
- GCSE/ GCE-OL: C
- GCE-AL/ AS: C
- IB: 4 in HL/SL
- Indian Central or State Board Exam Grade 12 English: 80%
- Malaysian SPM / UEC-Senior English Language: C
- Singapore GCE A-Level H1 General Paper: C
- GSAT / AST English: Top 13% of the cohort
* We do not accept Duolingo or IGCSE.
If you intend to apply during the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round of the 2024 Entry, but do not have a qualifying English language proficiency test result ready, you can still submit your application, and upload the test result later before Apr 7, 2024.
We strongly recommend applicants take IELTS or TOEFL iBT, if without any other accepted English language certificate, as early as possible to achieve the required test results. Demonstrating good English proficiency in your application will give you a better chance of a better offer.